Monday, 11 May 2015

Theme Time : Samuel Sim - Home Fires


ITV's new Sunday night period drama is Home Fires, based on the factual book Jambusters: The Story of the Women's Institute in the Second World War by Julie Summers, Home Fires boasts an impeccable cast headed up by Samantha Bond and Francesca Annis and including some of my favourites ladies; Ruth Gemmell, Fenella Woolgar, Claire Rushbrook, Leanne Best and former Rebus star Claire Price. It's written by Simon Block (who gave us Trust a short lived BBC drama from the early 00s which proved to be one of my favourite series at the time) but there's no escaping the fact that a crucial ingredient is missing from this nice looking home made fare. I'll stick with it, it may improve after all, but it's not filling the gap left by the BBC's Sunday night offering Poldark that's for sure!

Still, it does have a wonderful theme tune from the series composer Samuel Sim, featuring the talents of Heather Cairncross, Joanna Forbes L'Estrange, Rachel Weston and Grace Davidson on vocals and on cello; Caroline Dale, clarinet; Chris Richards and flute; Ileana Ruhemann.

It's not on YouTube but is posted to Soundcloud and you can hear it by following the link here

10 comments:

  1. Yes I have mentioned this myself, in a post about the VE Day celebrations - it is rather disappointing, but may perk up .... at least the period detail looks nice. Francesca Annis is turning into a formidable Grande Dame, and Samantha may have picked up a few tips from Dame Maggie !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen L Chaney, I really enjoy this PBS offering, but the theme music really has me intrigued. I am wanting to read the lyrics, but can not find theme listed amywhere. I listen to the music on SoundCloud and am only able to catch snipets of the lyrics. Can someone help me find them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      ♪ I can see them talking but I only hear the voices in my head ♪ ♪ Waiting for the moment they'll be calling to me ♪ ♪ And if I try, I'll remember that the words were never said ♪ ♪ Only now the others hold no meaning for me ♪ ♪ And I'll see ♪ ♪ With wide-open eyes ♪ ♪ Of blindness ♪ ♪ I'll leave ♪ ♪ The ever-calling cries ♪ ♪ In silence ♪ ♪ Every place we shouldn't go ♪ ♪ We shouldn't see, we will never know ♪ ♪ And all I want ♪ ♪ All I see ♪ ♪ All I fear ♪ ♪ Is waiting for me ♪ ♪ Now I see ♪ ♪ I'll be... ♪

      Delete
    2. Absolutely haunting song, just love it!!

      Delete
  3. I love the series, the theme and the song, where can i buy it, download it or record the song???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home Fires has been cancelled, to demand its reinstatemtn, sign this petition

    https://www.change.org/p/itv-itv-must-recommission-homefires?tk=Q81UULupwcQbth_u6QR1j7wr6any0e8BWVlZaxNOfdU&utm_medium=email&utm_source=signature_receipt&utm_campaign=new_signature

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful piece of music it always brings tears to my ears when I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Theme sung by The Mediaeval Babes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was Synergy Vocals actually? As I said in the post; Heather Cairncross, Joanna Forbes L'Estrange, Rachel Weston and Grace Davidson.

      There's a bit about them here https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=946517688716211&id=216839098350744

      Sim does do a lot of work with Katherine Blake, Emma Ovenden etc of the Baebes though; Victoria recently, but my favourite has to be their stuff for The Virgin Queen

      Delete